Thursday, April 7, 2011

Special moments

Sometimes you don't need to wait for the weekend or a day off to have a moment of joy.  One day the sun came out and the temperature went up to 65.  As background you need to know that we had the coldest, rainiest March on record.  Oregonians are used to rain but there are limits to a persons tolerance.  But there was one day at the end of March when the temperature went into the 60's and the sun came out.  My friend Nancy and I took a walk during our afternoon break and everyone we saw had a big grin on their face and waved and smiled as we passed.  The warmth and sunshine just made you feel new.  A moment which made the week and erased the annoyance of the day.

On another day one of the ward clerks I particularly enjoy made a different sort of sunshine in my day.   She had asked me a question and I answered and she responded with something to the effect of we are all in this together.  I responded with a smart alack comment about what are we in, the soup, the mud and so forth and she answered, are we in it with a ham, on the lam, and so on.  It was a simple exchange that did nothing to interrupt our work but it made me smile and appreciate her all the more.  Sometimes the joy comes as a surprise and it is important to take a moment to notice and let the good feeling wash over you.  It can make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment