Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sick Day

I woke up this morning feeling awful.  I was suspicious last night because I had a tickle in my throat.  You know the feeling, kind of scratchy, you try to attribute it to smoke in the air or pollen or whatever but you know it is a virus waiting to pounce.  Most of the time some sleep and and an orange and it goes away but this time it was not to be denied.  I got up and sat staring at the news and realized that the energy to call in sick was barely there let alone to take a shower and dress myself so I called in.

Immediately you feel guilty because you wonder if you could not have forced yourself to make it in to the office but as your debating this you sort of fall asleep and realize you made the right choice.  Besides, infecting your coworkers with whatever you have is not an appreciated form of sharing.

So now I am home unexpectedly and have a day stretching ahead without a plan or purpose.  In our modern world this is a totally weird phenomenon.  We live scheduled lives and without a schedule we feel somewhat frightened.  Of course the first task is to get healthy enough to return to work.  I always tell other people that my cure for illness is the 4 S regime.  Soak, salad,  sleep and sun will cure all.  Soak in hot water, eat as many things with as many vitamins as you can manage, get as much sleep as you can stand and get out in the sunshine if at all possible.  But I think today I have found a new  S, stimulate the brain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment